Saturday, June 13, 2009

Can You Read My Mind? (Lois Lane Theme)

It's 8:12 in the morning on Saturday. I'm waiting for H. to wake up to go on our walk/run this morning. (We're supposed to run, but we'll see.) I'm dressed, the house is quiet except for the happy lull of the washing machine, and I'm wasting time at the computer....waiting....waiting....

Can you guess what I'm thinking about? I bet you can't. Twenty-four hours ago I couldn't have guessed what I would be thinking about. So, here is a major clue:



My mom has had these bad boys in her cupboard for SIX WHOLE MONTHS...untouched I might add. They have been tucked away, unopened, still fresh inside their happily sealed package. Every time I come to my mother's house I take a longing look at this package and then instead of opening the box, I walk away. I make a comment every third visit or so about how it would be great to have some Candy Cane Jojo's. My mom usually ignores my comments. Ok, she probably doesn't hear me because I'm usually talking to myself. So the last time I was at her house I said, "When are we going to open these up?" My mom tells me I can open then right then if I want. "No," I say, "let's wait until I come next time." Next time was to be one week later. Fast forward to last night.

H., the kids, and I come back from H.'s work party at the zoo (fun I might add and I will super try to download a pic from my cell phone of the kids), and I am hankering for something yummy. (We stayed at my parents house last night.) My mom and I go to the pantry and she points out all the yummy cookie/brownie/cake mixes she has. But, I'm not feeling invested in baking AT ALL. Then I see the brightly striped red/white package of joy. "Hey, can I open these?" Sure, says my mother who just rejoined Weight Watchers the night before. (To her credit, I think she had 1 cookie...that woman is a ROCK!)

I tried to be ginger about opening the package, but I failed, after a few attempts I just got desperate and ripped the dang thing. I then proceeded to pour myself a glass of milk. And I ate. Mmmmmmmmm......I had 5 cookies and they were worth it!! 150 calories for 2, so that means 375 calories of cookies at 10 p.m. at night. Nice call, right?

7 comments:

mooney said...

I know I am impressed!

Reed H. said...

Good for you...stopping after only 5 cookies. I wouldn't have stopped until I started feeling pukey and/or the entire box was gone. Is that wrong? Alas...now I'm hankering for something sweet.

Julie J. said...

So, they are like oreo's only flavored like candy canes??? I'm not a huge fan of the mint, especially when it's put in something that tastes just fine without it.... If it were me I never would have opened them. Not in ten years. But I seriously can identify with the feeling. In fact, there are several things in your mom's pantry that my hand sneeks into on pretty much every visit. And quite a few I want to bust open in a panic of glutinous craving. And had I liked them, I never could have stopped at five, so good job.

Jules said...

I've never heard of those where did she get them? I wouldn't have stopped at 5 either so you did good.

Bridget said...

OMG!!! I LOVE these cookies. They are from Trader Joe's right? Where on earth did your mother get them? I have to admit. If I knew my mother had an un-opened box of those in her cupboard, they would haunt my thoughts forever.

Collette said...

Good call. You're right!

Holley said...

Sometimes you've got to throw caution to the wind and eat som Candy Cane Joe Joe's. I totally think you made the right decision.

You need to blog about your Walmart experience!!