Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Missed Me, Missed Me, Now You Gotta...

Really and truly? Today is my 6-month birthday at the new job. I guess I can't call it a new job anymore can I? I'm settling in, I'm getting the routine, I'm feeling like I can't use the "I'm new!" excuse any longer.

However, my sad, sad office is still quite bare. And, I'd love to rearrange it, but who can justify the cost of moving expensive furniture around? I can't do it myself, so that means I have to call moving and/or interior design, which costs money.

Did you know that everything at my new employer costs? It's kind of funny actually. There is a form, a procedure, and a cost associated with ev.ree.thing.

Case in point, several months ago I asked to get something that will hold my monitor OFF my desk. My monitor is in a weird spot and I'd like to move it off the desk to provide more worktop space. I asked about it, was referred to interior design, called them, they came out a few times to measure my space, then gave me a quote a couple months later (the cost became astronomical, at least to me), but I ordered because I truly believe this will help me. The order was placed a month or so ago and I have no idea when my new monitor arm and all its accoutrements will arrive. No idea at all.

One of my least favorite things to do is hire new faculty. Why? Because the process is long, arduous, filled with paperwork, processes, approvals, interviews with this office, the administration and with a general authority, offer letters, acceptance letters, contracts, returning of contracts....and we aren't even done with the process yet!

The reason this is my least favorite thing is because no one trained me on the process. Then when I had department chairs and/or new faculty asking me questions about the process I had ZERO idea of the answers. I hate that.

I really am okay with not knowing everything there is to know in the world, but when I'm hired to do a certain job, I want training! so I can then become the so-called expert. When people ask me, the so-called expert, about the process, I want to give them solid, true answers!

Things I Do Not Love About My Job:
1. Not feeling properly trained, but I'm overcoming that hurdle.
2. Being away from the kids.

Things I Do Love About My Job:
1. I truly like BYU as an employer.
2. My paycheck.
3. The people I work with.
4. I have my own office (wish it had a window!).
5. I get to work with students who are amazing.
6. I'm valued and appreciated here.
7. I've won over people who aren't easily won over.
8. I get to drive in with my good friend 2-3 times a week.
9. People fear me.

Okay, I'm kidding, nobody fears me. But, they do fear my phone number on the caller ID when I call and I think it is hilarious. And, I am an information center, and who doesn't love that? And, I get to exercise my powers to keep the information I have private and confidential. I know it sounds silly, but I really like being able to participate in confidential situations/conversations and I have the ability to keep my mouth shut.

There was a time in my life where I didn't think that was possible. And now you know too much about me....

Oh....and we did a sweet-sweet remodel on our front room/kitchen. My man pretty much amazes me and rocks the planet when it comes to trying things he has never tried and being so GOOD at those things. Our front room/kitchen is much improved and I am very, very pleased.

Oh...and we are paying off debt. I like that a lot.

Oh...and I've recently jumped a hurdle of self-doubt and feel so much better!

For now, that's all folks!


4 comments:

Jeff said...

I fear you....ha ha just kidding. Sounds like you have a sweet job. Enjoy!

Becky said...

Great update! I'm so glad the things you like about your job far out weigh what you don't like. That's always good.

How about some before and after shots of your living room/kitchen? I'd love to see!

Oh! About everything costing.And purchase orders and work orders etc. That is annoying. I worked at IBM in San Jose and it was the same thing...only everything took WAY longer and if I remember correctly cost more at IBM than at BYU. So when I worked at BYU I was, for the most part, pleasantly surprised. And there are lots of jobs where they do the same thing. Nathan had to order all his equipment for his new job with the Indian Tribe...huge headache and pain. Purchasing would call several times and try to talk him into cheap equipment but to do what he has to do he needed the expensive stuff. And every time they called and he would explain they would seem to start the whole process over again.

Government jobs are the same way...only I don't think purchasing cares how much it costs...everything just TAKES FOREVER!!! So many hoops to jump through.

So, you're not alone, is all I'm saying.

sorry for the long comment.

Again, LOVE the update!

PS - BYU was my favorite place to work. Nice people. Nice environment. But, truly most offices don't have windows. What is up with that!?!?

Brittany said...

you have been up to a lot! life is always better when you like your job. i know, i've been in both positions of hate and love. i'm glad you're happy! the big question now is, when are you going to post pictures of the house remodel?!!!! i am dying to see it!!!

Tamara Cayuela said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.