Monday, September 7, 2009

I Am So Sorry!

Wouldn't it be awful to actually be "in labor" on Labor Day? Ick! I wasn't in labor, but Harold did dream I was pregnant this weekend.

The only labor we partook of the past three days was driving to and from Denver. We had a great visit with the Nichols clan. We talked a lot, played a game, I read a whole book, went swimming, out to eat....all in all a great weekend.

Now I'm glad to be home.

Anyone who has known me for a long, long time knows that for YEARS I dissed Utah. I couldn't help it, I am a California girl at heart and I felt the need to tell everyone who would listen how superior California was to Utah, ok CA is better than most places, but because I had "relocated" to Utah, I was particularly harsh on the Beehive State.

But officially I have now lived in Utah for 19 years of my life. If you count the 18 months I spent in Scotland for my mission, that means I have now lived in Utah for half of my life and almost my entire adulthood.

And....I love it here. It's home. I still feel "at home" in CA, but I don't think I would enjoy living there anymore. My home is now a little town in Utah. I love the Wasatch Mountains, I love the spring and fall in here, I love my little po-dunk town. I just plain love it.

So, for all the times I was rude and disrespectful to you my fair state, I wholeheartedly and sincerely apologize. Utah is a blissful place for me and it is my home!

6 comments:

Jeff said...

WOW! I never ever thought I would hear you say those words! I'm kind of shocked, actually! I still diss Utah quite a bit, after all I am a Native Washingtonian. But I have to admit that Utah isn't nearly as bad as a remember it. A little quirky, but not horrible.

Holley said...

Its funny how our perceptions change as we get older and wiser.

I think that enjoyment of your environment has a lot to do with your attitude. As you know I've been struggling for a long time with living in NC. However, lately I've been trying to get more involved and appreciate what I have and how my family is being blessed and I must confess that NC is starting to feel more like home. I'm starting to fit into my ward a bit more...I even just got called to the Relief Society Presidency. Now instead of being the Enrichment leader, I'm the Enrichment counselor.

Tiffany Tweedie said...

I loved St. George when I lived there (2002-2006). I can't really say the same of Provorem, I lived there for 9 (1988-1997). Uhm... I HATE SNOW!! HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT.

I will probably end up living in Saskatchewan. Because life is cruel that way.

Maybe if I say I hate the tropics and sunshine I'll end up in Fiji?!

mom/Janet said...

As you know I'm a Wyoming girl but having lived there only 19 years of my life, Washington is home to me. Beautiful place - -- I love it but have always said I'd love anyplace as long as Bill was by my side. I'm glad you're happy where you are. THere's no place like home.

Jana Brookes said...

I felt the same way about UT and CA. I've been here 12 year, and was in CA for 16, so 4 more years, and I will have been here the same as in CA. I love to go home and visit my parents, but now, I don't really have a desire to move there and live there. I figure my parents will probably end up out here when my dad retires. I really have grown to love it too. It's a great place, I agree!!

Anonymous said...

Well, it took me until I was a senior at BYU before I really started to like Utah. I think it had to do with the fact that my parents had lived there for so many years, and had moved to Wyoming five years before I was born for my dad's work. Of course on the high windy plateaus of south-central Wyoming they would naturally compare the trees (or lack of), and everything else they had loved while living in Utah, and Wyoming would come up short. But, Wyoming was my home, and I wasn't keen on their poking at my state.

Anyway, as you know, I came to Denver for all the wrong reasons--even had a job offer at the Salt Lake County Library system and turned it down to come to Denver--and as of the 41st anniversary of my arrival on August 31st I can still say how much I love Denver. It is home no matter where we lived in the world, and I still love it.

I used to say only good things had happened to me here in Denver. But even though a couple of really crappy things in my life happened here, I still love Denver. I loved when they used to call it the Queen City of the Plains (of course, that had to be changed with the negative connotation of "queen"), and coming down Mount Vernon Canyon and making that last turn and seeing the city spread out below--it used to make my heart jump.

I could be happy anywhere, but I do love the Mountain West--especially the Denver area.

I lived a good life here. I expect to die here.