Friday, April 12, 2013

My One Post for 2013....maybe

Wow, has it been a year since I last posted? Guess what....I'm posting again.....and guess what.....it's on a related subject....Weight Loss.

Yes, the bane of my existence. The one topic that when I decide to focus on it, fills my head and consumes my every thought and deed.

I decided at the beginning of this year (yes, I am a walking/talking cliche) that I would lose weight this year. And next year, because I am positive that it's going to take at least that long to finally get the rest of this crud off my body.

I joined Weight Watchers online with my wonderful sister. She's inspirational and having a weight loss buddy is a great boost. And Harold joined in for a while, too, but now he's tweaked his knee and probably will need surgery (another story for another day) so he's dropped out for a bit.

After about two months on WW, I switched over to another free online program, My Fitness Pal, which basically counts calories and that's it.

Good News: 
I've lost 17 pounds
I've been at this for 14 weeks and show no sign of letting up
I feel really great about myself
I exercise super regularly, as in I take classes, walk for miles and miles, hired a personal trainer (my third session is today), and I MOVE MORE!
I gained a good friend in a co-worker throughout this process
I've done this without the help of the lap band (had to loosen the band due to raging heartburn, so I don't have the same amount of "help"/restriction that I normally would with the band. Which leads me to my next point....
I've learned to watch the quality of my food intake
I had gained 20 pounds at my current job and have taken almost all of that off
I've stopped drinking the no-calorie Crystal Light knock off, cuz my momma told me to
I'm really not a walking/talking cliche because I've been doing this for three months, most people quit in a week or two

Bad News:
I've lost 17 pounds in 14 weeks. What the?? I mean, I know I'm older, but I really only want an average of 1.5/week. I don't feel like that is too much to ask.
I weigh myself multiple times every morning. I have a digital scale that pretty much gives me a different weight every time I step on it, so I am constantly trying to figure out my "real" weight.
I don't drink enough water
When I stepped on the scale this morning I was the same weight I've been at for three weeks. Which means I lost 2 pounds this past month.
I'm sitting here on the verge of tears because I let my sense of self worth be defined by a stupid digital scale

On to More Good News:
I am not giving up. I refuse to let a scale define who I am. I am determined not to let the weight loss of others affect the way I feel about me. I will not let up until I am in a normal, healthy weight range. I love who I am becoming and will become. I will defeat this current plateau and punch it in the face as I make my way past this current weight and never lay eyes on it again. Never.

4 comments:

Holley said...

I'm glad you're blogging again. I've missed you. I hope you'll keep checking in. I like blog updates so much better than Facebook!

You are incredible and beautiful. 17 pounds is nothing to sneeze at. You'll get there. I'm on a similar journey myself. I swear our biology works against us. There is something in the McGiven genes that makes this battle really tough. I'm convinced of that. But you can do it!!!!

Becky said...

You go girl!!!!!

Sandy said...

I have noticed! I just thought your hair was getting longer.

Collette said...

Way to go! 17 pounds is awesome.
I started with WW online and it was awesome. Once I felt like I had it down I switched to lose it-same as my fitness pal-counts calories only. I love it and it keeps me in line.
I'm cheering for you and can't wait to hear about your success!!