Monday, December 8, 2008

It's a Band-i-ful life!

It's been a while since I posted about my lapband, and since I had a major "band moment" yesterday, I thought I would share.

I got stuck. This is a familiar term for people with lapbands. Getting stuck means you have eaten something that isn't passing through the smaller stomach that your band has created to the lower stomach (which is the larger part of your stomach that is below the band) and now your little tummy is full and overlowing back into your esophagus.

I have had minor feelings of "stuck" before yesterday, but yesterday I was super, duper, majorly stuck. I had not eaten (Fast Sunday) and decided to eat a roll first. The first time a lapbander eats in a day, the the band is "tight" and it is hard to eat anything, fluids are best. Also, white bread tends to get all paste like in anyone's stomach, but for a bander eating white bread on an empty stomach, not having eaten anything previously, becomes a real problem.

I ate. I didn't think about any of that. I just popped that sucker in my mouth without much thought to bite size or chewing well. Next thing you know, WHAM. I'm stuck.

I spent 20 minutes in the bathroom freaking out, hyperventilating to the point that my arms became all tingly. It was awful. The only way to relieve this pain/pressure, freaky feeling, is to throw up, or wait for the food to pass. Well, I went with option A. I felt immediately better. I have learned my lesson. No white bread on an empty stomach. No more eating without thinking about bite sizes and chewing.

I am officially a lapbander and I need to act like one.

Postscript: One of the kids ran to get H. when all of this happened. He busted home (he was out doing the ward mission leader thing) and was there to help me. He saw the bad and the ugly. Oh, married life. I know Jeff, this is why you are NOT married! :)

3 comments:

Jeff said...

That sounds like a whole lot of fun. Hang in there. I guess you learned a very valuable lesson.

mom/Janet said...

Too bad you had to learn that lesson. Geesh Jeanna, be careful. I don't want you to be stuck again. Did you get any "waiting on" from Harold through all of this? :)

Holley said...

I'm glad that everything turned out ok. I am a bread lover and the first thing I go for after fast Sunday is toast or a roll. Old habits die hard.

Good luck! You need to post some pictures so we can see how Svelte you are becoming.