Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Poseidon Adventure- circa 1972

Harold tells me that I have resisted renting this movie in the past. I honestly cannot remember him ever trying to get me to watch it. And, if he did I probably would not have been too happy about it and would have thought I had no desire to see a black and white (don't criticize me yet) movie with old-timey overactors in a doomsday flick.

How wrong I was!!! I had no idea this film was made in 1972 which means there would be actors I would actually recognize and it would be in color. You are all probably thinking I am a nutcase for not knowing any better...and I have no excuse for myself.

Yesterday I was at my mom's in between appointments. My kids were staying with her and when I walked in they were in the middle of the movie, right smack dab in the middle. The part where the captain is called away from the New Year's revelers. There is dancing, singing, seriously tight "hot pants" (my mom called them that and its true, they were smokin') (I actually just started laughing out loud right there). When what do my wondering eyes behold? But actors I recognize. From where? From The Love Boat. That's right, serious B-rated actors from the 70s, who frequented The Love Boat repeatedly because they couldn't get any other acting gig apparently. The only serious actor on board the Poseidon was Gene Hackman, and I might consider Shelly Winters as a semi-serious actor (although in her day she would have been called an actress). How poetic! The Love Boat v. The Posiedon Adventure.

And....little did I know there would be a tsunami. Sweet! I had no idea that is what happens in the movie, and no idea what the premise of the story was at all; the capsizing, the rat-like retreat to the lower bowels of the ship that have actually become the portion of the boat that is ABOVE the water line. I WAS LOVING IT!

I don't think I was supposed to be laughing out loud, but I was. And I was laughing even harder when I was re-telling my experience with watching the movie to him later that day. And I laughed the hardest when I told him how Mack had turned to me midway through the movie and said, "You are NOT going on a cruise!" Even now....its so ridiculous I'm laughing!

I didn't see the beginning and I didn't see the end, but I am gonna rent that sweet baby and have the time of my life on a date night in my near future.

4 comments:

Jeff said...

Yes, it is a good disaster flick. A bit cheesy, but that adds to it's charm. And I love how whiney Shelly Winters is throughout the movie. You just want to slap her! Just don't rent the "updated" version that came out about a year or so ago. Lame. Lame. Lame.

Cote Corner said...

Macky is so funny. He sure does worry about you guys a lot. At least you know he cares!

Anonymous said...

I was 20 when I watched that movie for the FIRST TIME and it was intense. I guess you need to see if from the beginning to not be laughing in the middle. And by the way, Shelly is the hero of this movie...Sandy

Anonymous said...

I was 20 when I watched that movie for the FIRST TIME and it was intense. I guess you need to see if from the beginning to not be laughing in the middle. And by the way, Shelly is the hero of this movie...Sandy